Although project management is challenging, it has become more widespread in use and more effective. Organizations that adapt project management see greater productivity and accomplishments. They enjoy competitive advantage. How has this happened over the past fifteen years?
- Legitimization of project management as a profession and practice (PMI).
- Thoughtful documentation of ideal processes and creation of a common language (PMBOK)
- Establishment of certifications (eg, PMP)
- Application of lessons learned
- Increased accuracy of estimates, tracking, earned value
- Establishment of Project Management Offices (PMOs)
- Shift of governance to project managers
Link to: The Project Management Institute